David Luiz absence is a 'big loss', says Chelsea boss Antonio Conte ahead of Manchester City clash

David Luiz absence is a 'big loss', says Chelsea boss Antonio Conte ahead of Manchester City clash

David Luiz will be absent from the Blues line up on Saturday

Friday, September 29, 2017

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has acknowledged that the enforced absence of defender David Luiz for Saturday’s clash with Manchester City is a “big loss”.

The Brazil international featured in the midweek win over Atletico Madrid but will complete a three-match domestic suspension following his red card against Arsenal.

The defender also has a broken wrist but the Blues have adequate cover with youngster Andreas Christensen likely to step into the defence.

The Danish centre-back has impressed when he has featured so far, following his return from a two-year loan spell at Borussia Monchengladbach, and Conte hinted he was impressed with what he had seen so far.

“For sure it’s a big loss,” Conte said in Luiz’s absence.

“Andreas Christensen is playing well and showing he is a really good player.

“I’m happy with his performances.”

Chelsea

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close